Monday, July 27, 2009

I woke up this morning, dressed business-like yet casual for my internship at Sentex Communications, an Internet Service Provider, and communications solutions company. Honestly, I don't know very much about either of those fields, but after Shad Valley, you're ready to take on just about anything.

When I arrived, I received a warm welcome by the same man who had interviewed me, and got an honorary tour of the office, showing me places such as where I would be working, the server rooms, and the break room (free coffee and soda!). He also introduced me to my coworkers, all of whom were equally welcoming.

Perhaps what surprised me the most was the workplace environment. Everybody seemed so social and so friendly, which didn't really match up with my preconceptions of what working at an Internet Service Provider might be like. The office even had its own internal chat program, so employees could converse and exchange ideas without having to move about. It all seemed social and constructive, and I'm sure that this will enhance my ability to work and make my work experience considerably more enjoyable.

Although it is still fairly unclear what I may be doing at Sentex Communications (as much of the day was spent introducing me to the company and syncing me with its various social and network accounts), I'm extremely excited for what it has to offer. The great people, and great workplace environment will be sure to make my internship at Sentex Communications unforgettable.

Grant Robson
Home City: Guelph, ON