Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Like some of my fellow Shads, I had a chance to become an intern after Shad Valley and work for the rest of the summer. I am currently working at McCain Foods in Florenceville, where I will be studying potatoes, microorganisms and all sorts of topics of this nature.

Today (my 2nd day on the job) was quite interesting. For one of my tasks, I worked with sulfuric acid, ammonium molybdate, some sort of syrup and a machine. I started off with two test tubes. I poured 500 microlitres of sulfuric acid into each tube, followed by 50 microlitres of ammonium molybdate. I boiled test tube A for 6 minutes, while adding 1400 microlitres of the syrup into test tube B. Once tube A had finished boiling, I had added the same amount of syrup into it. I put the solutions in a machine that did some calculations. I recorded the data, inserted it into Excel, and then I repeated the task. After the data had been collected, I was told that I had gotten the hang of it pretty quickly, which was good to hear.

That’s my story so far…


Zach LeClerc
Hometown: Florenceville, NB