Thursday, August 6, 2009

As the sun sets on that ninth wonderful day of work at Ericsson, I turn around and look at the tall building in which I worked today. Feeling a mix of pride and joy for the work I accomplished through the day, I slowly walk toward my car, thinking about the people I met, the things I learnt and the progress I made so far.

But then, you must ask yourself: “What makes that boy so proud?” Well, first of all, let me describe a normal day in the life of Olivier during his internship at Ericsson Canada and you might understand the reasons I feel this way! As the day starts, I settle down at my desk (you heard well, my own desk!!), open my computer, read my messages and then start working. Christine, which is my supervisor, then comes to greet me and wish me a great day. I then start working on the tasks I was assigned while people from the floor come and go, chatting happily about all sorts of things. At lunch time, I go downstairs in the cafeteria where I sit under a tall tree through which the sun’s rays gently warm my face and arms. On my left, there is a father who brought his little boy to work with him and on my right, there is a director slowly eating a delicious-looking salmon filet.

Afterwards, the afternoon is pretty calm but similar to the morning. At around three o’clock, Christine comes to my office to wish me a great evening and tells me not to work too much at home. At around five o’clock, I close my computer and head toward my car. On the way, I chat with an employee I have never met and wish a good evening to the security guard who returns the wish. Now, do you understand why I am so proud of my day at Ericsson Canada?

Olivier Gilbert
Hometown: Beloeil, QC