Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I have spent my limited time here at Verafin exploring all sections of the company. Verafin provides credit unions and banks with BSA/AML (Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering) and Fraud detection software using artificial intelligence, so having a firm understanding of the regulations in the financial industry is crucial.

I completed the Edcomm Online Training on “AML Overview for Canada” and “Focus on BSA/AML for Compliance and FIU (Financial Intelligence Units)” to get a better understanding of the regulations in the financial industry to prepare for my time with marketing and sales. During my time with sales and marketing, I sat in on calls with potential clients and current customers, participated in planning and strategizing meetings, learned about current partnerships, and helped send out a mass e-mail campaign.

Today I am working with the Development team and we started the morning with a kickoff meeting. I have been particularly focused on the testing aspect, helping check the documentation of the application to make sure that it correctly and clearly describes each section of the application for the customer. I was also working on a test plan of the application. Using a test plan, I would check that the expected outcome and the real outcome matched and that there weren’t any problems.


My time at Verafin has opened my eyes to the varied aspects of this company and how they affect each other, along with a new use of engineering and artificial intelligence. The experience that I have had during my internship with Verafin has been incredible. I really appreciate and value the support of the company – it has given me the opportunity to work in a really dynamic and positive environment, so focused on employee satisfaction. As I left I made sure to place my green marble in the jar, to represent my great day at work.

Philippa Gosine
Hometown: St. John’s, NL